Genetic Counseling Support Services
In Asia Genomics, we appreciate the importance of genetic counseling as an important component of genetic testing and genetic services. Therefore, we have established genetic counseling support for physicians and a genetic counseling clinic for patients.
Genetic Counseling Physician Support
- Direct support to physicians interested in ordering testing through Asia Genomics.
- Genetic resources to facilitate genetic counseling on our test panels.
- Genetic Counselors are available to attend to enquiries by physicians about genetic testing and results.
Genetic Counseling Clinic (currently available in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
Asia Genomics offers genetic counseling direct to patients, in partnership with a clinical geneticist at a genetic clinic in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. If you are interested in arranging a genetic counseling session, please have your physician complete the referral form (consultation fees apply).
You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further inquiries related to genetic counseling services.
When to seek genetic counseling
- If you have been diagnosed with a genetic condition.
- If you, your spouse or a family member has had a child with a birth defect or genetic condition.
- If you or your spouse is concerned about a condition in your family being passed on to your children.
- If you have 2 or more close relatives who had breast, ovarian and bowel/colon cancer younger than 50 years old.
- Pregnant woman interested to seek information on prenatal screening and prenatal testing.
- Woman with history of still birth or more than three miscarriages.
- Suspected fetal abnormality detected during pregnancy during prenatal screening.
- If you have been exposed to potential teratogen (or medication during pregnancy) which may cause a birth defect.
Planning for a child
- Pre-marital screening for genetic disorders.
- If you and your spouse are related (e.g. cousins) and are planning to have a child.
What to expect in genetic counseling
Genetic counseling is the process of helping people understand and adapt to the medical, psychological and familial implications of a genetic condition.
Preparing for your visit
Please collect information on your family members such as year of birth, age of deceased, history of multiple miscarriages and history of medical illness in the family. Also bring along genetic test results, medical reports and photographs of affected individual, if available.